Thursday, April 7, 2011

Recipe Thursday - Mexican Taco Stew

This post could be titled, Thank Goodness for the Whole Foods App. That's how I feel about the wonderful app on my phone that allows me to enter what ingredients I have on-hand and gives me suggested recipes. The recipe app has come in handy many times and I definitely suggest adding it to your phone. Immediately I found this recipe and thought it sounded delicious and I had all but one ingredient on hand. No big deal, I knew I could just improvise. I was excited.

Then enter my husband who asks what we are having for dinner. I smile and announce that we are having Mexican Taco Stew. He immediately gives me the "I'm not too sure about that" look and says, "So it's soup". The hubby doesn't really care for soup. I smile again, ensure him it will be great and go back into the kitchen hoping that my meal lives up to my words! I got the same distrusting look from my daughter as she was setting the table because she too doesn't like "soup".

As I do experiment A LOT with new recipes and foods, I always ask for honest feedback from my family. I want to know what they like, don't like, suggestions for what to do different, and most importantly if this is a meal they would want to eat again. Well the Mexican Taco Stew has won them over and will be served again in the Weir home. My husband really enjoyed it and we both agreed that it would be great if we added some more vegetables, probably more squash and possibly some bell peppers. The corn was the one ingredient that I didn't have on hand but we will add that next time. Topped with fresh avocado - oh so yummy. Overall a great, quick recipe that is perfect for a family dinner during the week or for a group.





 

 

 

 

Ingredients

1/2 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (gluten-free)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
1 large zucchini or summer squash, cut into small cubes
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans*
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes*
1 cup frozen corn kernels*
1 cup medium salsa*

Amy Style (alterations to the above ingredients)
  • I used 1 pound of very lean ground turkey
  • I used a package of taco seasoning but will try to use cumin and chili powder next time instead to reduce the sodium
  • Topped with fresh avocado instead of sour cream
  • Add more squash and corn, as well as bell peppers
  • Use fresh tomatoes instead of canned

See the full recipe on the Whole Foods Website

No comments:

Post a Comment