Friday, July 8, 2011

Recipe Friday - Summer Vegetable Ragout with Zucchini, Green Beans & Corn

Hello all,

I know it has been awhile since my last post and I apologize for my lack of posting. Life is crazy sometimes! But the good news is that I am back on track and excited to share so many great ideas for health and wellness, as well as many great recipes! To incorporate a new posting schedule, Recipe Thursdays are now becoming Recipe Fridays and today I have a fabulous new recipe for you all.

I recently stumbled upon a new cookbook, Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton (Chronicle Books, 2010). The tag line of "More than 90 Delicious Recipes for Veggie Lovers" caught my attention because I am definitely a veggie lover and always looking for new, creative ways to cook up some yummy greens. I know that some of you are thinking "well I like some veggies but I wouldn't call myself a veggie lover!" I was that exact same person at one time. I am a prime example that we can retrain ourselves and our taste buds to love foods that are good for us. But that's another post for later!

Back to the cookbook - I was so pleasantly surprised by this cookbook because not only does the author provide lots of wonderful recipes but she also gives great information on all things veggies: shopping, storing, and preparing. I think it is a great book to have on hand in the kitchen.

One of our favorite recipes has been the Summer Vegetable Ragout with Zucchini, Green Beans, and Corn. (although I substituted asparagus for green beans) It is a great side dish with lots of great flavor. My husband really liked it the first time I made it! This is always a bonus because we are always tweaking recipes to make them better after the first attempt. In the cookbook, the author provides an option to change up some of the ingredients to give the dish more of a Thai flavor. This is how we prepared ours.

As always, I will list out the ingredients from the original recipe and then provide below any substitutions that I made. Usually I provide a link to the full recipe but this recipe is not online and therefore I will include the cooking instructions, as stated in the book, below. The recipe is for 4 servings. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 tsp finely Grated Lime Zest
1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup low-sodium Chicken Broth
2 tbsp Coconut Milk
1 tbsp Canola Oil
1 Cup Fresh Corn Kernels
3/4 Cup Sliced Baby Zucchini
3/4 Cup Sliced Green Beans
1 Cup Medium-Diced Yellow Onion
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Finely Chopped Fresh Garlic
1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Herbs (Cilantro/Mint)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Amy's Changes

* I used Vegetable Broth instead of Chicken Broth to keep it vegan
* I used asparagus instead of green beans because that's what I had on hand
* I used grape seed oil instead of canola oil - just my preference
* I only used cilantro but will definitely add the mint next time

Cooking Instructions (from the cookbook)

1) Combine the lime juice, lime zest, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. In a liquid measure, combine the broth and coconut milk. Set these aside.
2) In a 10 in saute pan with a lid, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the corn, zucchini, green beans, onion and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bottom of the pan is browned (this is from the starch in the corn) and some of the vegetables are just beginning to brown, 4-6 mins. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, just until well combined. Turn the heat to low, add the broth-milk mixture, stir well to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and cover. Simmer, stirring once, until the liquids have reduced to 1-2 Tbsp, 3-4 mins.
3) Remove the pan from the heat, uncover, and stir in the lime juice mixture and most of the fresh herbs. Season with pepper and stir again. Transfer to a serving dish or individual bowls and garnish with the remaining herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment