Monday, July 11, 2011

Vitamin "F"

This past weekend, I had the great pleasure of having a girls' night with some of my dearest friends. These are friends who grew up with me, who have been beside me over the years and who have seen the really good and the really bad in my life. They are also friends who I don't see that often because of distance and just the overall responsibilities of life and so it was a huge treat to share such a fabulous night with them. They helped provide me with a big dose of Vitamin "F"! I'm not talking about fatty acids here - I'm talking about the health benefits of friendship.

Health and wellness is not all about the foods you eat or the amount of hours you exercise. Although these things are very important, it's also those friendships in your life that make a difference in your overall wellness. The emotional health benefits of friendships include a longer, happier life. It's still unknown as to why but friends boost your immune system. Friends provide comfort, laughter, honesty, and the connection you have with them can help boost feelings of hope and faith. You can be yourself and walk away knowing that everything really will be okay.

As Southern women, most of us have heard the advice from older women, "Get yourself some good girlfriends - you're gonna need em." This is so true and I am grateful for those special girlfriends in my life. This week, I encourage you all to find ways to give and receive a big dose of Vitamin "F" - you'll be happy that you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment