Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Old Saying Is Correct

I would like to dedicate my first post to the fruit it is named after - the apple. The old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is definitely still true today. Apples contain antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber that all help you in preventing disease. Apples have been shown to provide digestion regulation, blood sugar regulation, cardiovascular benefits and can help to prevent asthma and cancer, especially lung cancer.

Apples are best eaten whole - eat everything but the core. The best nutrients are found in the peel. Personally, I am obsessed with apple slices and almond butter. I eat this snack almost every day. I have found that my favorite almond butter is one that is freshly ground with nothing else added. We shop at one of the newer HEB stores and they have a station already set up for you to grind your own almonds. Yummy!

Let me say again that apples are best eaten whole. So many parents with good intentions, (and I was one of them at one time), have believed the marketing that fruit juice is just as nutritious as the actual fruit. Fruit juices are highly processed, refined and devoid of nutrients. It's like Marvin Gaye said "ain't nothing like the real thing baby"

Of course apples are just one of the many fruits and vegetables that should be a part of your diet but the little round, red fruit is a great place to start!

What's your favorite way to eat apples?

No comments:

Post a Comment