Monday, February 28, 2011

Smoothie Love

For all the friends and family members that have asked about the smoothies that I make, this post is for you. I have been drinking these smoothies almost every day since introduced to them over 5 months ago and LOVE them. I crave them in the mornings, I love the taste, but what I love the most is that the ingredients of the smoothie, along with eating healthy foods, have played a huge role in helping me manage my IBS symptoms. I use the word "manage" because the symptoms still pop up here and there but have decreased significantly. What used to be a daily battle has become something that I deal with only occasionally, drastically improving my quality of life.


Green Superfood Berry Smoothie
(This is the way that I make mine but know others that add ingredients or leave out some ingredients based on taste and desired effects.)

1 Banana
1 Scoop Vanilla Egg White Protein (I use the Jay Robb brand)
1 Scoop Green Superfood (I use Garden of Life Raw, Organic Superfood)
4 Large, Frozen, Organic Strawberries
5-6 Frozen, Organic Raspberries
A handful of Frozen, Organic Blueberries
1/2 Cup of Vanilla Almond Milk
Cinnamon to taste
Raw, local honey to taste

A couple of notes
1) I recommend using only a half scoop of the green superfood for the first couple of weeks until you get used to the flavor and then slowly adding more. Once you start to love it, you will want to add more and more!
2) It is best to use organic berries because berries hold a lot of pesticides and you want to eliminate your exposure.
3) My preference is the vanilla almond milk but you can use plain or even use Coconut Milk.
4) I highly recommend adding the Cinnamon. It has great health benefits - Studies have shown that it is Anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial, it has a regulatory effect on blood sugar and can possibly lower cholesterol.
3) If you are going to reap the benefits of drinking green smoothies on a regular basis, I suggest investing in a good blender. You want something that will last. We currently have the Kitchen Aid 5-speed Model: KSB755CA

Happy Blending!

Do you have a healthy smoothie recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment