Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe Thursday - Greens with Carrots, Feta Cheese and Quinoa

After the success of my first kale recipe a couple of weeks ago, I felt confident to use the kale in another recipe that I had again found on the Whole Foods website last night. Much to my delight, the hubby liked it, had seconds, and didn't need to put additional hot sauce or garlic salt on it! (He puts hot sauce and garlic salt on everything!) Although she enjoyed the Kenyan kale recipe, my sweet daughter didn't enjoy this recipe as much but I think it had more to do with the quinoa than the kale. She is still getting used to eating quinoa. However, being the good eater that she has become, she still ate her three bites with only a little compliant. This was sufficient for me, as she had already eaten her turkey, roasted asparagus, and mixed greens/spinach salad. Yep my 10 year old loves her greens now!

I did make quite a few modifications to the recipe based on food preference, amount needed, and what I had on hand. I have listed the ingredients below as they are in the original recipe and then added comments regarding my modifications. If you are new to cooking, don't be afraid to change the recipe and make it your own. This was a great lesson that my husband really helped me understand. I still consider myself a "new cook" but I know the more I cook and experiment, the better I become. Remember it's not about perfection in the kitchen - its about enjoying the experience.



Ingredients

2 carrots, shredded (I used three carrots)
2 bunches dark leafy greens (kale, collard greens or Swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves very thinly sliced (I used only 1 bunch of kale)
1/2 red onion, finely chopped (I used a yellow onion)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled (I didn't measure the amount of feta used but I definitely didn't use 1/4 lb)
1 (20-ounce) package 365 Everyday Value frozen Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice, prepared according to package directions (I used 6 oz of Quinoa instead of brown rice, cooked with organic chicken broth)
I also added 3 cloves of minced garlic and a little olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment