Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe Thursday - Kenyan Style Kale and Tomatoes

I still find it odd that I am posting a recipe using kale. A couple of years ago, this never would have happened. I thought Kale was just a decoration on your plate, something you set aside in order to eat your other "good" food. But my eyes have been opened and I am starting to embrace foods like kale for their wonderful health benefits. Kale is one of the most nutrient rich foods you can find and is an excellent source of  Manganese, Iron, Copper, Calcium, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, B2, and B6, and Vitamin E.

Accepting foods like kale - easy. Cooking them in a way that your family will eat - not always so easy. But in my weekly quest to try new recipes and add new foods to my family's diet, I found a recipe for kale on the Whole Foods website that I thought would appeal to everyone and tried it last night. I am happy to say that my first attempt at cooking kale was a success! My husband, our 10 year old daughter, and 2 friends that were last-minute dinner guests all gave it a thumbs-up for taste. The verdict on the look was another story! It is MUCH tastier than it looks so just give it a try.



Ingredients

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeƱo, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
3 ripe but firm tomatoes, cored and chopped
2 bunches kale or collard greens (about 1 pound total), ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

See the full recipe on the Whole Foods website

No comments:

Post a Comment